The victim of the Unnao rape case has approached the Delhi High Court to withdraw the order granting interim bail to former BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar. Former MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar is facing life imprisonment in the case.
The victim of the Unnao rape case has approached the Delhi High Court to withdraw the order granting interim bail to former BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar. Former MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar, facing life imprisonment in the case, has been granted interim bail to allow him to attend his daughter’s wedding. The victim has moved an application seeking recall of the order granting interim bail. In the alternative, the former MLA has prayed for additional restrictions to be imposed on him during his release.
A division bench of Justice Mukta Gupta and Justice Anoop Kumar Mendiratta issued notice on the victim’s application and sought response from the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI). Sengar was earlier granted interim bail by the court for a period of 15 days – from January 27 to February 10. Following the division bench’s order, the single judge had also granted interim bail to Sengar in the murder case of the victim’s father with similar conditions.
Advocate Mehmood Pracha, appearing for the victim, referred to an affidavit filed before the Supreme Court by Uttar Pradesh’s Special Secretary (Home) in November last year, which stated that there was a threat to the life of the victim, her family and lawyers. He submitted that an SHO was also blamed in the case along with Sengar for the custodial death of the victim’s father. Hearing this, Justice Mukta Gupta said, ‘We have said that he will report daily to the Home Department. Police comes under them. If they find the SHO inefficient, let them deploy a proper SHO. It is within their jurisdiction.”
Pracha expressed apprehension of danger by the concerned police due to the conviction of an SHO in the case. The counsel appearing for the CBI told the court that Sengar has to report to the investigating officer of the probe agency and not to the local SHO. After hearing the parties, the court listed the matter for further hearing on January 27. In the application, the victim has submitted that after the grant of interim bail, she is getting information that Sengar is going to harm her and her family.
The apprehension regarding the safety of the applicant and that of his family has increased, especially in view of the fact that the appellant, while released on bail, is allowed to use his mobile phone, and his conspiracy and influencing persons known to him in the Administration to harass the present applicant and create a security risk.
The application reads that the victim was repeatedly gang-raped in 2017, when she was a minor. Sengar was convicted for raping the victim and killing her father in connivance with the police officers of Makhi, a village in Unnao district. He has been sentenced to life imprisonment.
The Supreme Court had in 2019 transferred the trial of the case to the Tis Hazari court, following a transfer petition filed by the victim. The apex court, taking cognizance of a letter written by the rape victim to the then Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi, had transferred all the five cases registered in connection with the incident to a Delhi court with directions for trial from the Lucknow court in Uttar Pradesh. on daily basis and to complete it within 45 days.